Documents required to get started

Mutual funds:

The process of getting started with Mutual funds is investor friendly. You can either get started by investing online or offline according to your suitability. You can choose any online platform for investing like Groww, Karvy, CAMS etc. You may also choose online portals of various banks. To get started you need to complete your e-KYC (Know your customer) process. The process involves submission of address and identity proof such as Aadhar and PAN card. When you start investing in SIP’s you need to fill a form about your SIP details such as frequency, monthly installment amount and date on which SIP sum is to be invested.

If you are comfortable investing in offline mode, find an AMC office around you. Most banks have their AMC offices. Documents required are the same.
Can minors invest in Mutual funds?
Minors, who are below the age of 18 cannot open their own mutual fund account. They can open an account in the name of their parents and operate it.

Stock market:

To get started in investing in stock market you need to have 3 things in place
1) Demat account:
Nowadays many transactions are done online as there is availability of internet. When the internet was not available to all, physical share certificates were issued to people. However now as internet is available to us. Demat account has been introduced. Demat account also known as dematerialized account is an account where shares are held in electronic form. Demat account is like your bank account but for storing stocks. Please note that demat account is only used for storing stocks and not for making transactions (buying/selling).
2) Trading account:
Trading account is the account through which you can actually make transactions in the stock market.
3) Saving account:
Savings account is linked to your trading account, to transfer money to start investing.

Documents required:

You can open your D-mat account online as well as offline. Here is the list of documents that are needed:
  • Pan card
  • Aadhar card
  • Proof of income (in some cases)
  • Cancelled cheque
  • Passport size
  • Photographs